Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 1998 00:00:17 -0500
From:      Ted Spradley <tsprad@set.spradley.tmi.net>
To:        dima@best.net
Cc:        louie@TransSys.COM (Louis A. Mamakos), trost@cloud.rain.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel permissions

> > By this reasoning, there's no point in removing read permission either.
>
> Of course there is. Because user doesn't need to have this information.

Is this what your argument boils down to -- *Your* users don't have a
'Need to Know' (to use the Pentagon expression).  Maybe I prefer to
encourage my users to learn as much as they will about the system.  Maybe
I take a very negative attitude about keeping any information secret, so
I consider long and hard before I remove read permission for anybody from
any information.  Maybe that's why I use a system that has freely
available source code.