Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 12:55:26 +1000
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        "Mike Woods" <Mike@the-rubber-chicken-network.co.uk>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Webmail Questions

Well...

My ISP uses IMP (from http://horde.org/imp/) which uses PHP scripts to
interact with an IMAP server.

From home, I use an IMAP client.

IMAP is very good for this sort of stuff.

Now if I read messages from work using webmail, the messages show up
at home as being read, but they're still there for me to look at and
unmark if I want.

Similarly if I mark them as "deleted" using my client at home, webmail
shows them as being deleted (and either displays them "struck out" or
doesn't display them, depending on which option I've chosen).

Since IMAP has a concept of folders in the protocol, I can leave all
the stuff I want to read at home in my INBOX.  Once I get home, I can
do all the filing of messages (at which point IMAP removes the messages
from the INBOX).

POP can in theory behave similarly by using the "leave messages on server"
option that most clients support, but it isn't managed nearly as well as
by the IMAP protocol.

It kind of depends what protocol you're using for reading mail.

Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319