Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 1999 07:35:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>
To:        Gong Wei <ccegongw@nus.edu.sg>
Cc:        "'freebsd-question@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-question@freebsd.org>, "'freebsd-stable@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: KDM and FreeBSD 3.3

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Gong Wei wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> My apologizes for asking a question which is not so related to the list ...
>
> Here it goes: I have a machine recently upgraded to FreeBSD-Stable 3.3
> through cvsup+make world. Some weeks later I decided to give KDE a try, by
> (cd /usr/ports/x11/kde11-i18n;make install).  Everything went smoothly
> except the KDM, which seems couldn't let me login.  After entering the
> correct userid and password at the KDM welcome window, then for a very short
> period of time the screen becomes black, very short in fact.  After that the
> KDM welcome window will just reappear again.

You may want to search FreeBSD problem reports
(http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr-summary.cgi?query) for instances of
kdm and/or kde; in particular, PR 8754
(http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=8754) may be of some use.

-----
Chris D. Faulhaber <jedgar@fxp.org> | All the true gurus I've met never
System/Network Administrator,       | claimed they were one and always
Reality Check Information, Inc.     | pointed to someone better.