Date:      Fri, 29 Dec 1995 13:03:28 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Kevin McQuiggin <mcquiggi@sfu.ca>
Cc:        docs@freebsd.org

> My CDROM is on the E: drive on the windows box.
>
> The URL I supplied for ftp install was ftp://142.58.14.242/e:/dists, as that
> is the subdir on the CD ROM containing the bin directory, etc.

Are you SURE your ftp client works that way?  Mine on NT doesn't - it
just plops you into whichever directory you designate as `E'.  I tried
it as an FTP server for a FreeBSD 2.1 CD and it worked just great as
an install point.. :-)

> Secondly, the relationship of the options editor "Package" string (or
> whatever it's called, it has 2.1.0-RELEASE as a default value, and the
> target directory on the specified host, is not specified and very confusing.

The options in general are poorly handled.  This will hopefully change
once I hack the dialog library to occupy only certain areas of the
screen.  Now that I've added display and action callbacks to the
libdialog stuff (and should add entry and exit callbacks too, it just
occurred to me! :-) I can use the two to make options fully context
sensitive.  When you traverse over a given choice, any modifiers for
it can pop up in an options editing area.  I'm still working it out,
but there's a lot of potential there.

> give the target directory on the host. Install must have been looking for:
>
> ftp://142.58.14.242/e:/dists/2.1.0-RELEASE
>
> is my assumption. I may be wrong. Am I? I'm noting that this should be

Sort of.  The install first tries the `naked' path to whatever
resource it's looking for (e.g. dists/bin/*) and only tries the
path/${relname} directory if the first attempt fails.  It tries about
4 probes into the source media, actually, using different combinations
of ${relname} and "dists/" prefix information.

> I would also suggest that for user-specified URLs, that the default path be
> set to the same tree structure on the CD, so that the

Well, I just use the user-specified ones alone.  How do I know what
weird formats they've specified?  Best not to modify it.

> Here's a suggestion: It would be nice to have an option in the install
> whereupon the user could drop to the shell and do the ftping of dists
> manually, like the standard method used in 1.1. I realize that there's a

There's no space for an ftp client - what you think of as `ftp' is
sysinstall's own ftp client driver.  Maybe somebody else feels like
writing a CLI for it, I dunno. :-)

						Jordan