Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2001 08:33:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Bruce M. Walker" <bmw@borderware.com>
To:        Ralph Huntington <rjh@mohawk.net>
Cc:        "Bruce M. Walker" <bmw@borderware.com>, Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sophos and Virus return mail

Ralph Huntington wrote:
> > (This is one case where blocking of port 25 by ISPs is a good thing.)
>
> If port 25 is blocked, then how is legitimate mail accepted?  -=r=-

[The instant I hit the "send" key, I knew I should have clarified! :-]

I meant, of course, blocking of port 25 to all destinations but the
"officially sanctioned mail server".  ISPs generally provide you
with a mail server IP which you are supposed to forward all mail
to.  Forcing all customers to go through that helps (a little) to
prevent spamming via open relays.  Yes, it annoys some, but clients
with dynamic addresses on DSL/cable modems usually don't care.

(Veering dangerously OT now...)

-bmw