Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 11:55:19 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Utz <john@utzweb.net>
To:        Patrick Thomas <root@utility.clubscholarship.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: seeking _sound_ on libretto 100ct using 4.5-RELEASE

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Patrick Thomas wrote:

> I cannot for the life of me get sound to work on a toshiba libretto 100ct
> running FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE.  I am simply trying to get `mpg123` to play a
> mp3 file, and I have not been successful.

man, i hate that :-)

> I have this in my kernel config:
>
> device pcm0 at isa? port 0x530 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0xc100

OTOH, you seem to have mixed some 'metaphors', is this supposed to work
this way?

port 0x530, is the default for an ad1848 compatible 'Microsoft Sound
System' or mss type of chipset.

but irq 5 is the 'cast in silicon' irq for a sounblaster chip.

so, what's the chipset in the libretto?

without having any facts about the chipset, i'd say that you need to use a
bridge driver to hook up the card and then your pcm line will just be

device pcm

device 'bridge-thingy' 'your addr, irq, dma here..'

note that i seriously doubt that it will be the exact addr and irq that
you listed, but i could be wrong, libretto's are known to be profoundly
idiosyncratic :-)

> And I have not created any devices using MAKEDEV, since pcm is not in the
> MAKEDEV script (so I can't make it even if I wanted to).  Also I can `sh
> MAKEDEV snd0` all day successfully, but the snd0 file never actually gets
> created.
>
> cat /dev/sndstat tells me:
>
> FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Feb 26 ...
> Installed Devices:
> pcm0: <OPL3-SAx (YMF719)> at io 0x530 irq 5 drq 1 (1p/1r/0v channels)
>
> Finally, dmesg tells me that pcm0 is at irq 5, drq 1, etc.
>
> -----
>
> mpg123 some_song.mp3 results in:
>
> /dev/dsp: Device busy
> (repeated two more times)
> /dev/audio: Device busy
>
> I try again, and this time I am told:  /kernel: pcm0: play interrupt
> timeout, channel dead
>
> I try again and I am told:
>
> /dev/dsp: Device busy
> audio: Device busy
> esd: Esound daemon already running or stale UNIX socket /root/.esd/socket
> This socket already exists indicating esd is already running
>

> Please note that I do not have a /root/.esd directory, in fact I have a
> /root/esd_auth directory.  I tried creating a /root/.esd directory, and I
> seem to get fewer errors - sometimes mpg123 runs without
> complaining...BUT, I still don't get any sound ...
>
> I know the speakers work because I hear my pcmcia beeps at boot.
>

> Any suggestions appreciated - I know a lot of people out there use toshiba
> librettos...someone must be successfully using sound...
>
> thanks,
>
> PT

John L. Utz III
john@utzweb.net

Idiocy is the Impulse Function in the Convolution of Life