Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 1999 14:53:50 -0100
From:      "Horst H.G. Weber" <weber15@tarantel.rz.fh-muenchen.de>
To:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Trouble after installing i4b 0.83: "xl0: watchdog timeout"

Hi,

I have a problem after compiling and installing i4b 0.83 with FreeBSD
3.3 Realease.
This also occured to me with i4b 0.83 and FreeBSD 3.1: I just upgraded
the system
to see if it would go away...

The Hardware is a 486 DX2/66 in an Asus SP3 Board with a 3com 3C900
Combo
ethernet board (PCI) and an AVM Fritz!Card (PCI).
(There is also an old PCI VGA card, but it's only used if it's necessary
to fiddle
with the BIOS. The system is configured to use the serial console.)

After booting the kernel with ISDN support, I will get "xl0: watchdog
timeout"
messages after some time and the network performance is extremely bad
then.
("xl" is the network driver for the 3com PCI ethernet boards, in case
somebody
wonders... ;-))

At this time, nothing of the ISDN part is used, only the drivers in the
kernel are active!

It seems to me, as if the i4b Fritz PCI drivers steal the interrupts of
the ethernet board,
but could that really be?

The kernel boot messages seem to look ok: the kernel recognizes the
right
IRQ mappings for the PCI cards that I have setup in the BIOS for them.

The only thing that puzzles me, is that they all claim to use "INT A"...
Is this ok?

Since this machine is "dangerously dedicated" [<:-)] to FreeBSD I can't
go for
the "use Win and look if it works there" approach.
(But in any case: that may not really give any hints...).

Any help is appreciated...

bye...
        Horst.