Date:      Tue, 8 Jun 1999 08:09:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      jin@george.lbl.gov
To:        matt@portal.net.au, shashi@Shift-F1.com
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ideal Server configuration??

} How many users are you planning on handling on the mail server? How many of
} these would be connected at the same time?
}
} >       Pentium II 450 MHz
} >       256MB
} >       4 SCSI 9.1GB each
} >
} > I intend to be under $1500 without the price of hard disks, if possible.
} >
} > What are the other factor in hardware that should be taken in account for a
} > web server?
} > e.g. compare along the following lines:
} > 1. PII 450 vs PIII 450
} >    PIII 450 vs PIII 500
}
} certainly here, the price difference between PII/450's and PIII/450's
} is very minimal.  I'ld be using a PIII/450 or 500

PIII 450 vs PIII 500 is just price and CPU power. The bus is the same.
If you have a cold room, use PIII 450 running on 110MHz bus clock, you will
get better I/O then PIII-500 and have then same CPU power.
We have tested this overclocking on our server for a month w/o any problem.

} > 2. 256MB vs 512MB
} > 3. L2 cache of 512K vs 2MB
}
} this realy depends on the number of users. Personally I've found having
} more ram rather tahn more L2 cache is of benefit (if you can't have both)

It also depends on I/O or computation load. For I/O based server, cache is
no issue. For math app. oriented server, you need larger cache.

} > 4. 2 18GB SCSI disks vs 4 9.1GB SCSI disks
}
} providing that you can cool them 4x9.1GB 7200rpm drives work well
}
} > 5. SCSI motherboard vs. separate SCSI adapter?

Modern larger SCSI disk (bigger than 8GB) all work well.

} I've been using Asus P2B-S with onboard Adaptec controllers and found they
} work well. I've not found any difference with having the SCSI controller
} off-board (Adaptec 2940UW) so you might as well save the $$

If you want two SCSI controllers, you may choose the Symbios Logic based SCSI,
such as ASUS SC-875. The performance is same as Adaptec, but much lower price.

} > I am trying to see the performance gain in each option, how much important
} > each is. e.g. increasing the memory is always better than increasing the
} > CPU speed, when it is already 450MHz (which is good enough).

This implies that you have a server with more I/O loads. P-III-450 should be better
choice. You must be wonder why not overclock 500 P-III on 110 bus. This is
chip manufactory technical issue. It is hard to explain in a line.

	-Jin