Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 1997 11:57:33 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@bitbox.follo.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>, Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD mentor program (was: Stealable idea?)

On Thu, Nov 20, 1997 at 06:18:59PM -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > While you're at it, sign me up for the following:
> >
> > C/C++ programming: small, medium, or large scale.  (Defined as a few
> > thousand, tens of thousands, and hundreds of thousands of lines of
> > code.  Never done a "millions" project yet.)
>
> Hmmm.  Well, just to inject a note of cold reality into this,

[... comments about lack of FreeBSD projects actually implemented from
scratch ...]

> So I guess what I'm saying is that it's all well and good to list your
> capabilities, but of far more importance is that key question which
> Sean Connery asked of Kevin Costner in "The Untouchables":
>
> 	"What are you prepared to *do*?"

In the context this was: Answer questions and build a relationship to
other people that need help for doing FreeBSD projects.  That's a
question of answering mail, which is something many FreeBSD people
seem quite good at :-)

However, with the level of enthusiasm for this idea among the
committers (read: absolutely none), I've dropped doing anything more
about setting up a mentor page or similar.  It would be easy to set
up, but if nobody except me would take on the work of functioning as a
dedicated external contact for an external party, it seems fairly
pointless.

Having external people like Wes willing to help projects is of course
nice (thanks Wes!), but it doesn't solve the primary problem -
external contributors lack timely response and somebody taking
responsibility for their projects, due to the responsibility being
divided between a lot of people.

The same problem exists for security-officer@freebsd.org - I've
several times seen mail sent there just disappear into a void.

Eivind.