Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 12:15:27 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jim Dixon <jdd@vbc.net>
To:        Veggy Vinny <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>, Chad Shackley <chad@gaianet.net>, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Decision in Router Purchase

On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Veggy Vinny wrote:

> > >                               HDLC/SDLC Speeds to 12 Mbps
> >
> > This is the number you care about.  PPP, Cisco HDLC, and frame relay
> > run on top of raw HDLC.  We have never cranked them up to 12 Mbps ;-)
> > but they work fine at 2 Mbps or T1.
>
> 	I know what you mean but what about for the Ethernet side of it,
> isn't that Asynchronous speed in any way related or what were those
> numbers for?

You can use the board for other purposes, possibly with different
daughterboards.  It has nothing to do with  'the ethernet side', which
is handled by the Pentium.

>             T1 actually is 3Mbps accourding to Dennis at ET, T1 speed
> going in and out combined...

Well, of course, it's bidirectional.  But everybody else thinks that
T1 is 1.536 Mbps or so.

We run N2Ds at 2 Mbps (or 4 Mbps if you want to count it that way)
with no trouble at all.

--
Jim Dixon                  VBCnet GB Ltd           http://www.vbc.net
tel +44 117 929 1316                             fax +44 117 927 2015