Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 13:20:40 +0100 (CET)
From:      Attila Nagy <bra@fsn.hu>
To:        Alex Holst <a@area51.dk>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pf OR ipf ?

Hello,

> pf currently runs only on OpenBSD. Jordan Hubbard has expressed
> annoyance with the fact that there are now three filters (ipfw, ipf and
> pf) so it seems unlikely that FreeBSD is going to port it.
I'm sad to hear that. I think diversity is a good thing. With FreeBSD if
you are paranoid you can set up your firewall rules in two packet filters,
which has a different codebase. So if one fails, it is unlikely that the
other will too.
I think it is good to have more than one packet filter in the kernel :)

With PF some more features could be also ported, like the bridge support.
And that would be a good thing also.

--------[ Free Software ISOs - ftp://ftp.fsn.hu/pub/CDROM-Images/ ]-------
Attila Nagy					e-mail: Attila.Nagy@fsn.hu
Free Software Network (FSN.HU)		  phone @work: +361 210 1415 (194)