Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2000 02:56:46 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/22676: No man pages for Make.conf or /usr/src/sys/Makefile

Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za> types:
> On Fri, 10 Nov 2000 02:32:25 CST, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > I haven't seen that mail. It's not attached to the PR. Could you tell
> > me where it showed up, or possibly forward it to me?
> *grumble* *grumble*  It always annoys me when folks mail the responsible
> mailing list instead of copying their follow-up to the gnats handler.
> I'll get Nik's message into gnats.  For now, it's included in this
> message.

Thank you.

To reply to a comment from Nik Clayton:

> I understand that keeping them up to date is a chore, but I think as long
> as they include a caveat that says something like
>
>     BUGS
>
>     This man page may lag behind the actual contents of the file, please
>     read the comments in the file for any new functionality.

The man page references /etc/defaults/make.conf. And since Nik pointed
out the relation to periodic.conf & rc.conf, they could use the same
caveat.

> then we should be OK.  I'm also more than happy to support any committer
> whacking you want to do when someone commits to /etc/make.conf without
> updating make.conf(5) (and we should probably put a comment in the top of
> /etc/make.conf saying exactly that.

I hope you meant /etc/defaults/make.conf. /etc/make.conf isn't there
until someone creates it post-install. Similar comments would be even
more effective in the other file sin /etc/defaults.

	<mike