Date:      Wed, 4 Sep 1996 04:25:44 -0300 (EST)
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@daniel.sobral>
To:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD vs Linux 96: ATAPI support

> From: Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
> Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 13:14:05 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: FreeBSD vs. Linux 96 (my impressions)
>
> 4) Supports arbitrary PC hardware better.  As of FreeBSD 2.1.5, the boot
> floppy _still_ doesn't recognize my IDE CD-ROM (which I've reinstalled

Funny thing you mention that. Since my own IDE CD-ROM wasn't working up
to last week, I have taken special interest in anything related to IDE
on FreeBSD's lists I subscribe to (and Usenet newsgroup).

The first patch since 2.1.0-RELEASE I'm aware of was uploaded to
ftp.freebsd.org's incoming directory with the name atapi_960716 (no need
to tell you when, right? :). It deals specifically with a the way the
ATAPI driver recognized the CD-ROM (it was out of specs).

That, unfortunately, didn't solve my problem, though I guess it would
solve a lot of people's problem.

_After_ that patch, it become clear that most people having trouble with
IDE CD-ROMs (though not all of them) had HITACHI's 7730 (or something like
that) CD-ROMs. My own model, btw.

A patch correcting that was submitted last week (to hackers and using
send-pr, after feedback). Again, FreeBSD's driver was out of spec.

Anyway, after seeing your message, I decided to check out what was stable's
version of the atapi driver on ftp.freebsd.org. I don't know if anything
has gone into that branch after 2.1.5-RELEASE, but I expect it to receive
the submitted patches, at least.

Well, the atapi.c file there is precisely the same as in 2.1.0-RELEASE.
No Arve's patch (the HITACHI one), which doesn't surprise me, and no
atapi_960716!

>From where I'm sitting, it looks like maybe FreeBSD has finally a working
atapi driver, but it's just not available!

If you like to try my driver, Jake, I can e-mail the files to you. 2.1.0
(and, obviously, 2.1.5) only, though. I know that Arve has submitted a
HITACHI patch to current too, if that's what you using/intending to use.

--
Daniel C. Sobral		  (8-DCS)
dcs@gns.com.br