Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 1997 01:09:35 +1100
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Acrobat problems?

On Tue, Nov 18, 1997 at 09:56:43AM -0800, Mostyn/Annabella wrote:

>> Is anyone else having problems running Acrobat 3.0 or 3.01 (Linux) on
>> -current?  When I run 3.0, Acrobat tells me that it's trapped a
>> segfault on every pdf file I try, and 3.01 doesn't segfault, but the
>> display is all messed up.  I'm running SMP from around 10/27 .........
>
>I noticed the same thing on 2.2.5-STABLE a few days old.
>
>With a matrox millenium (MGA - SVGA server) and XFree86 3.3.1 and
>a bits per pixel depth of 24 (startx -- -bpp 24) the acrobat display
>is messed up with predominantly blue letters; but with pixel depths
>of 16 and 32, it's OK.
>
>Using the Xinside (Xig) X server and 24 bit pixel depth it's OK.
>
>This is with 3.01 Acrobat (3.00 segfaulted as you saw).
>
>Mostyn
>
>P.S. Another X thing - netscape 4.04 will get a SEGV if running
>     XFree86 3.3.1 24 bpp after restoring the stack on sigreturn
>     because of a SIGALRM while having just read the awt/MToolKit
>     class, and ...
>
>     The Xig server sails through it?  (This at http://www.onsale.com
>     when it starts the first Java applet).

The current 24bpp implementation in XFree86 is quite different from most
others in that it uses a depth 24 pixmap format with bits-per-pixel also
24 (most others -- including Xig's X server -- have bits-per-pixel 32
for their depth 24 pixmap format).  Checking the output of xdpyinfo will
confirm this (under supported pixmap formats):

    depth 24, bits_per_pixel 24, scanline_pad 32            (XFree86)

vs:

    depth 24, bits_per_pixel 32, scanline_pad 32            (others)

These are both for packed 24bpp framebuffer.  The pixmap format does
not need to be identical the the framebuffer format.

Doing what the XFree86 servers currently do in this regard is quite
valid from an X11 point of view, but many clients cannot cope with it.
While 24bpp in the XFree86 server is likely to have more bugs than other
depths (it is much newer code), many of the observed problems are actually
related to the client's lack of (or buggy) support for the pixmap format
used.  Future releases of XFree86 are likely to use the latter format,
or at least provide it as an option.

David