Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2001 10:01:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        david@catwhisker.org, vdue@zen.tc
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dell Inspiron 2500 and what 802.11b

>Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 09:36:19 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Michael DuFresne <vdue@zen.tc>

>I have looked at the Cisco cards, but dang, they are expensive. From
>what I can tell, a Cisco card+ap is $700. I was hoping to keep the
>costs down to a reasonable level without sacrificing too much
>functionality/security.

Just because you're using a Cisco PCMCIA card does *not* mean that you
necessarily need to use a Cisco AP -- or *any* AP, for that matter.  The
whole point of the "Wi-Fi" branding is so folks can have some degree of
assurance that the products will interoperate.  (The crack about "any
AP" refers to the possiblity of using a pair of cards, one in an ISA (or
PCI?) adapter, in ad-hoc mode.)

(At home, I use an Apple AirPort AP with the Cisco/Aironet cards.)

>Stupid question time: If I apply patches from an external source (ie
>other than from cvsup..), how is cvsup affected?

Well, that depends.  :-}  (You probably could reasonably have expected
that "answer".)

What I do is use CVSup to maintain a local CVS repository.  And by doing
that, I can hack my own /usr/src tree as much as I want, and as long as
I have a running system, I can blow stuff away and get it back to
"normal" pretty easily.

Before doing things this way, I had tried just using CVSup to update my
sources, and that proved to be rather annoying.  Maybe there's some
"trick" to it, but having my own mirrored FreeBSD repository appears to
be a far easier approach.

>I'm in Walnut Creek.

Eh; that's what I get for trying to ascribe geography to TLDs.  I should
know better by now; sorry.  :-}  There's a BAWUG meeting Thursday of
this week.  (The meeting is in Redwood City this time; I'd plan to
attend, but I have a prior committment.)

>All that I really need to get working is a wireless link to my home
>network. I have a few machines working now with various OSes. Work has
>stated that I can do some work from home provided I can get a VLAN
>working to the Cisco routers at work. So, if I'm going to telecommute,
>I might as well do it from the lanai.

Quite so.

>For the work part, the laptop will use that Redmond stuff, but I want
>to make sure I can also use FreeBSD whenever I'm not using the laptop
>for 'work'.

:-}

For my home stuff, I'm using WEP (though it's weak, I fancy it may
provide some deterrent), as well as restricting the AP to talking only
with cards that use MAC addresses I list for it (though the MAC address
can be changed at will, again, I fancy it is some deterrent), and I use
SSH for any communication from the laptop to any machines where I get
shell prompts.

Hope this is of some use,
david
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product.