Date:      Fri, 07 Jul 2000 18:20:46 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        "Dimitri T." <midios4@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: F i l e s e r v e r ?

"Dimitri T." wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Well, the day before yesterday I sent a question and got no feedback at
> all.. Now, before I end my life drinking the conium I'll give it one last
> shot. Here's what puzzles me:

Um, maybe your questions is either not specific enopugh, or nobody has
an answer yet?

> I've set up an NIS-NFS server and a couple of clients to go with it.
> Now it seems like a good idea to install any packages (or other apps
> like staroffice for example) on the server and allow the clients to use them
> remotely.

Sounds reasonable.

> Does anyone have any suggestion as to what is the best way to do this?
> Should I export and mount on the clients the whole server:/usr?
> I mean /usr is BIG, is there perhaps some better way?

Even if /usr is big, what's the problem? Just export it, then mount it
remotely on top of the other /usr partition.

Another possibility is to make cheapo xterms using xdm, set up your
applications on the server, and log in using xdm onto one machine. this
way, the clients get cheaper, but you have no software distribution
problems.

HTH
-Christoph Sold