Date:      Sun, 30 May 1999 02:42:55 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Don Read <dread@texas.net>
To:        Dustin Lang <dustinl@interchange.ubc.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Ramblings from a Newbie...

well it's late and php is kicking my butt

On 30-May-99 Dustin Lang wrote:

> I have just one question, but it's not specific to FreeBSD or even BSD.
> Why on earth do people use vi?  I'm not trying to start a flame war or
> anything, but it's just so unfriendly.

"Contrary to popular belief, vi is user-friendly.
  It's just very selective with whom it makes friends with."

                                           Doing the install was simple
> and very friendly up until I did a 'chsh' and got vi!  My editor of choice
> is pico, the editor that looks like pine and has instructions on the
> bottom.  Sure, it's simple and doesn't have all the advanced features you
> might want in an editor, but for doing a 'chsh', it's sufficient!  Of
> course, that's just me...

Because it's there.

'tis on FreeBSD, Linux, the HP's, on DG/UX, and even on them nasty SCO
boxes; Vee-eye is always there.

> Before hitting reply and flaming me, check this out and have a chuckle...
> http://www.userfriendly.org/cartoons/archives/99may/19990508.html

editor of last resort :dd bs=1

Regards,
---
Don Read                                 dread@calcasieu.com
EDP Manager                                  dread@texas.net
Calcasieu Lumber Co.                               Austin TX
-- Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy
    and taste good with ketchup.