Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 1995 14:22:15 +0200
From:      Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
Cc:        joerg@sax.de, Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.mt.net>, hackers@freefall.cdrom.com, install-geeks@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: MBONE interfaces and snazzy install tools.

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:

>Anyway, I digress.  This cpio_flp_1_perl_short - you don't say much about
>how you made it or why it's "short" :-).

FreeBSD-2.0-RELEASE cpio floppy

1) cpio_flp_1: 		normal crunch
2) cpio_flp_1_perl: 	add perl
3) cpio_flp_1_perl_short: add perl and
			substract sed, ed, grep, tar, ncftp
4) cpio_flp_1_perl_tiny: add perl and
			substract sed, ed, grep, tar, ncftp
			cat chmod cp date echo expr kill ln ls  mkdir
			rcp rm rmdir sleep  test basename chown getopt
			rlogin

`Short' or `tiny' mean without some programs and not a coruptly perl
version, perl is always the completely perl!

uncompressed
1. 1114112 cpio_flp_1
2. 1380352 cpio_flp_1_perl (+266240 bytes)
3. 1052672 cpio_flp_1_perl_short (-61440 bytes)
4.  991232 cpio_flp_1_perl_tiny (-122880 bytes)

compressed (gzip -9)
1. 556835 cpio_flp_1
2. 674193 cpio_flp_1_perl (+117358 bytes)
3. 518072 cpio_flp_1_perl_short (-38763 bytes)
4. 487494 cpio_flp_1_perl_tiny (-69341 bytes)

*** cpio_flp_1.conf	Mon Nov 21 05:14:32 1994
--- cpio_flp_1_perl.conf	Sat Apr  1 14:35:53 1995
***************
*** 3,9 ****
  # first, we list the source dirs that our programs reside in.  These are
  # searched in order listed to find the dir containing each program.

! srcdirs /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin
  srcdirs /usr/src/bin /usr/src/sbin /usr/src/usr.bin /usr/src/usr.sbin

  # second, we list all the programs we want to include in our crunched binary.
--- 3,9 ----
  # first, we list the source dirs that our programs reside in.  These are
  # searched in order listed to find the dir containing each program.

! srcdirs /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin
  srcdirs /usr/src/bin /usr/src/sbin /usr/src/usr.bin /usr/src/usr.sbin

  # second, we list all the programs we want to include in our crunched binary.
***************
*** 28,36 ****

  # /usr/bin stuff

! progs tar tip ftp ncftp rsh sed telnet rlogin
  ln tip cu

  # finally, we specify the libraries to link in with our binary
  libs -lcrypt -ltelnet -lutil -ll -ledit
! libs -lreadline -lcurses -ltermcap -lkvm
--- 28,36 ----

  # /usr/bin stuff

! progs tar tip ftp ncftp rsh sed telnet rlogin perl
  ln tip cu

  # finally, we specify the libraries to link in with our binary
  libs -lcrypt -ltelnet -lutil -ll -ledit
! libs -lreadline -lcurses -ltermcap -lkvm -lm
*** cpio_flp_1.conf	Mon Nov 21 05:14:32 1994
--- cpio_flp_1_perl_short.conf	Sat Apr  1 14:47:19 1995
***************
*** 3,9 ****
  # first, we list the source dirs that our programs reside in.  These are
  # searched in order listed to find the dir containing each program.

! srcdirs /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin
  srcdirs /usr/src/bin /usr/src/sbin /usr/src/usr.bin /usr/src/usr.sbin

  # second, we list all the programs we want to include in our crunched binary.
--- 3,9 ----
  # first, we list the source dirs that our programs reside in.  These are
  # searched in order listed to find the dir containing each program.

! srcdirs /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin
  srcdirs /usr/src/bin /usr/src/sbin /usr/src/usr.bin /usr/src/usr.sbin

  # second, we list all the programs we want to include in our crunched binary.
***************
*** 12,18 ****

  # /bin stuff

! progs cat chmod cksum cp date dd df echo ed expr grep hostname kill ln ls
  progs mkdir mt mv pwd rcp rm rmdir sh sleep slattach stty sync test
  ln test [
  ln sh -sh		# init invokes the shell this way
--- 12,18 ----

  # /bin stuff

! progs cat chmod cksum cp date dd df echo expr hostname kill ln ls
  progs mkdir mt mv pwd rcp rm rmdir sh sleep slattach stty sync test
  ln test [
  ln sh -sh		# init invokes the shell this way
***************
*** 28,36 ****

  # /usr/bin stuff

! progs tar tip ftp ncftp rsh sed telnet rlogin
  ln tip cu

  # finally, we specify the libraries to link in with our binary
  libs -lcrypt -ltelnet -lutil -ll -ledit
! libs -lreadline -lcurses -ltermcap -lkvm
--- 28,36 ----

  # /usr/bin stuff

! progs tip ftp rsh telnet rlogin perl
  ln tip cu

  # finally, we specify the libraries to link in with our binary
  libs -lcrypt -ltelnet -lutil -ll -ledit
! libs -lreadline -lcurses -ltermcap -lkvm -lm
*** cpio_flp_1.conf	Mon Nov 21 05:14:32 1994
--- cpio_flp_1_perl_tiny.conf	Sun Apr  2 18:22:56 1995
***************

*** 12,26 ****

  # /bin stuff

! progs cat chmod cksum cp date dd df echo ed expr grep hostname kill ln ls
! progs mkdir mt mv pwd rcp rm rmdir sh sleep slattach stty sync test
! ln test [
  ln sh -sh		# init invokes the shell this way

  # /sbin stuff

! progs badsect basename chown clri disklabel dmesg dump dmesg fdisk fsck ft
! progs getopt ifconfig init mknod mount mount_cd9660 mount_msdos mount_nfs
  progs newfs ping reboot restore route swapon umount
  ln dump rdump
  ln restore rrestore
--- 12,25 ----

  # /bin stuff

! progs cksum  dd df hostname
! progs mt mv pwd sh  slattach stty sync
  ln sh -sh		# init invokes the shell this way

  # /sbin stuff

! progs badsect clri disklabel dmesg dump dmesg fdisk fsck ft
! progs  ifconfig init mknod mount mount_cd9660 mount_msdos mount_nfs
  progs newfs ping reboot restore route swapon umount
  ln dump rdump
  ln restore rrestore
***************

  # /usr/bin stuff

! progs tar tip ftp ncftp rsh sed telnet rlogin
  ln tip cu

  # finally, we specify the libraries to link in with our binary
  libs -lcrypt -ltelnet -lutil -ll -ledit
! libs -lreadline -lcurses -ltermcap -lkvm

  # /usr/bin stuff

! progs tip ftp rsh telnet perl