Date:      Sat, 06 Feb 1999 07:50:44 -0800
From:      Don Dugger <dugger@hotlz.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Frustrating to read...ugh!

Kevin Weiss wrote:

> I think it's sad that almost every PC magazine (including the whole ZD Net
> set of
> magazines) is so focused on Linux.  It's not that I think Linux isn't good
> enough, but
> it's as though FreeBSD...or any free UNIX version for that matter...doesn't
> exist in
> their eyes.  I think this is very crucial area of PR that should be
> addressed.  I did
> quite a bit of research before I decided to start with FreeBSD instead of
> Linux.

Don't lose heart. Not too long ago they didn't know that Linux existed,
they'll come around. There always slow.

> One of the things I like about FreeBSD is it's organization.  An solid
> example of this
> is how distribution is done of new releases--very well organized in my
> eyes.  I keep
> reading about "corporate America " not wanting to deploy Linux (again, almost
> NO mention of FreeBSD), but scared about the lack of technical support.  Of
> course, there are companies like Red Hat, blah blah blah...

I recently read four articles in the trades that all said that
"corporate America" was opening up to "open systems" (a code word for
Linux and free software) and was rethinking the question of support.
They sited the fact that HP and Oracle were supporting Linux. And That
many company thought that buying third party support gave them more
flixibility.
So hang it there we'll get there yet. Remember that once there open to
"open systems" they will start looking around at all the systems and of
course FreeBSD will win. But your right we all need to do your part to
promote FreeBSD.

Don 8)