Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 1995 19:25:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@eng.umd.edu>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
Cc:        richard@harlequin.co.uk, freebsd-install@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "Installation" and "upgrade"

On Mon, 25 Sep 1995, Julian Elischer wrote:

> > > Keep up the good work.  I wish I had time to pitch in.
> > >

> > One good reason why you haven't found a method of upgrading from 2.0 to
> > another version, is because there isn't one.  The filesystem changed
> > right after the release of 2.0, so upgrading to anything more recent
> > requires backup up your files, and doing a fresh reinstall.  Believe me,
> > there's no way around it.
> >
> > The new install will reinstall your filesystems, with a newer variety,
> > based upon "slices".
> >

> this is a bit misleading. the new filsystems layed out in 2.0.5
> are more optimal, but if you want to, you can just decline to newfs
> them and use the old partitions, and install new binaries onto them..
> we can still read old partitions

Julian, I think that's a bad thing to tell people.  If anyone else
agrees, I'll stop saying this, but I think it's a real bad idea, for a
whole range of reasons.

Besides having to deal with a boatload of howls from folks who lost their
files because they were told they could upgrade without the reinstall,
how are you going to troubleshoot future reported problems if you aren't
even sure of the underlying FS ?  I don't like this idea ...

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |