Date:      Wed, 8 Mar 2017 09:00:34 +0500
From:      "Eugene M. Zheganin" <emz@norma.perm.ru>
To:        "stable@freebsd.org" <stable@freebsd.org>, freebsd-net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   about that DFBSD performance test

Hi.

Some have probably seen this already -
http://lists.dragonflybsd.org/pipermail/users/2017-March/313254.html

So, could anyone explain why FreeBSD was owned that much. Test is split
into two parts, one is nginx part, and the other is the IPv4 forwarding
part. I understand that nginx ownage was due to SO_REUSEPORT feature,
which we do formally have, but in DFBSD and Linux it does provide a
kernel socket multiplexor, which eliminates locking, and ours does not.
I have only found traces of discussion that DFBSD implementation is too
hackish. Well, hackish or not, but it's 4 times faster, as it turns out.
The IPv4 forwarding loss is pure defeat though.

Please not that although they use HEAD it these tests, they also mention
that this is the GENERIC-NODEBUG kernel which means this isn't related
to the WITNESS stuff.

Please also don't consider this trolling, I'm a big FreeBSD fan through
the years, so I'm asking because I'm kind of concerned.

Eugene.