Date:      Fri, 17 May 2002 10:26:55 -0700
From:      Johnson David <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Joshua Lokken <inspector.us@omicnet.com>, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Having a bad time with hostname

On Thursday 16 May 2002 07:58 pm, Joshua Lokken wrote:
> I am using DHCP.  When I configure my NIC under FreeBSD, it
> uses the name that Win2K arbitrarily gives my box when I set it
> up, which I don't normally alter because I don't need to.  Do I
> have to use name (frustratingly inclusive of a string of random
> letters and numbers)?

I'm using a FreeBSD box at work with DHCP. You can give your box any hostname
you want...but...everywhere else on the net it will be referred to by that
arbitrary name given it by Win2K. Don't try to use that arbitrary name as
your hostname, because it's going to be changing on a regular basis. Your
chosen hostname is essentially going to be an alias for localhost.

David