Date:      Sun, 26 Apr 1998 15:10:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: conf/6410: /etc/resolv.conf search field gets wiped out periodically

The following reply was made to PR conf/6410; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To: dannyman <dannyman@dannyland.org>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 14:33:00 -0700

 dannyman wrote:

 > On Sun, Apr 26, 1998 at 01:22:57PM -0700, Studded wrote:
 > > dannyman wrote:
 >
 > >       Are you by any chance running DHCP? My DHCP server sends me information
 > > that the client uses to update /etc/resolv.conf.
 >
 > yes i am using dhclient.  i will look in to a workaround for this
 > irritation.  thanks for the tip.

 	No problem. If you are using the ISC DHCP client (and it looks like you
 are) you might find the information on my page useful.
 http://home.san.rr.com/freebsd/dhcp.html. In my dhclient.conf I have:

  request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, routers, domain-name-servers,
          domain-name, host-name;

 I know for sure that the domain-name-servers item is used by
 dhclient-script to rewrite /etc/resolv.conf. You can however include
 items in dhclient.conf to prepend and append things that should be
 written to resolv.conf, including search. I suggest you check out the
 man page for dhclient.conf. I don't use it so I can't give you examples
 that work but it doesn't look too tough.

 > > PS, someone might want to change the summary for this PR to reflect
 > > resolv.conf instead of /etc/hosts.
 >
 > is that someone me?  (sorry, my bad ...)

 	Unfortunately once it goes into the database a committer has to make
 the change, but it's not that big a deal so don't sweat it. :)

 Glad this helped,

 Doug
 --
 ***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
 *** Proud designer and maintainer of the world's largest Internet