Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 1997 19:31:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Kenneth R. Westerback" <krw@tcn.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.2R: Starting with CTM

When I made my first attempt (on 2.1.7) to create an updated source tree
via CTM (ftp'ing the delta's) I found that even though I had installed a
complete source tree during my initial setup I could not use that tree as
a base for CTM deltas.  The file .ctm_status was not present in /usr/src
and I could not find any clues as how to manually create one that would
accurately reflect the level of the source tree installed from CDROM.

Thus I mv'ed /usr/src to something else (after discovering the CTM base
delta could not be applied against an existing tree) and applied the base
and deltas and proceeded from there.

When I downloaded the 2.2R release I deliberately did NOT get the src
distribution as I expected I would have to download as much again in a
base delta.  Instead I downloaded the base delta and all subsequent deltas
(up to 210 at the moment), built the tree and compiled just fine (at least
after remembering to link /usr/src to my 2.2 directory).

Whew.  Now the question!

Did I correctly conclude that downloading the 2.2R src distribution was a
waste of my time? i.e. it would have still lacked the .ctm_status file or
equivalent information that would allow me to use it as a base delta?

And if my conclusion was correct, WHY?  Why not just provide the
.ctm_status file?  Surely the src distribution corresponds to a
specific level available from CTM? What am I missing?

---- Ken