Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 22:11:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      dima@best.net (Dima Ruban)
To:        tsprad@set.spradley.tmi.net (Ted Spradley)
Cc:        dima@best.net, louie@TransSys.COM, trost@cloud.rain.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel permissions

Ted Spradley writes:

> > > By this reasoning, there's no point in removing read permission either.
> >
> > Of course there is. Because user doesn't need to have this information.
>
> Is this what your argument boils down to -- *Your* users don't have a
> 'Need to Know' (to use the Pentagon expression).  Maybe I prefer to
> encourage my users to learn as much as they will about the system.  Maybe
> I take a very negative attitude about keeping any information secret, so
> I consider long and hard before I remove read permission for anybody from
> any information.  Maybe that's why I use a system that has freely
> available source code.

Okay. Here's an example. Ever hear of a commertially available drivers?
When you install such stuff, you don't want somebody to be able to read
them, or have a copy of kernel with them. Why? Because you did pay for them
and whoever wants to have an access - didnt.

Normal users *do not need* to have an read acces to the kernel.
They simply don't.

Do you need any other examples?

What's the deal with arguing on such a simply issue?

-- dima