Date:      Wed, 3 Sep 1997 20:14:04 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Bob Willcox <bob@luke.pmr.com>
Cc:        chat list <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Conclusion to "NT vs. Unix" debate

On Wed, 3 Sep 1997, Bob Willcox wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 03, 1997 at 06:39:06PM +0300, Narvi wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 3 Sep 1997, Wes Peters wrote:
> >
> > > Conclusions?  We don't allow no steenking conclusions here!
> > >

> > [snip]
> >
> > > Motorola.  IBM.  Hitachi.  NEC.  Fujitsu, now the world's second largest
> > > computer company, and very loud about it.  etc.  Of course, all of them
> > > but Motorola also make WinTel machines.  Personally, I think it stupid
> > > that Moto and IBM didn't pick up support for NT on CHRP when MS dumped
> > > it; they're doing themselves a great disservice.  AIX, bad as it is, is
> > > better than NT, but "will it run Word?"
> >
> > Well, the rumour goes that MS wanted 300M for continuing to support PPC in
> > future versions. It seems they didn't consider it worth that amount of
> > money?
>
> Would you?  I know I certainly wouldn't.  :-)

No, I wouldn't. 300M is a whole mountain of chips you have to sell to get
it back which you can otherwise spend on developing even better chips.

> I had the "opportunity" to run NT on some PPC systems while still at IBM
> and I have to say I didn't like it any more on those systems than I do
> on Intel systems.

I'd bet it's all the same on all platforms. And I am still trying to find
a way of buying a Motorola MTX board :-(

	Sander

	There is no love, no good, no happiness and no future -
	all these are just illusions.