Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2007 15:38:24 -0800
From:      Bill Campbell <freebsd@celestial.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: find returns unusable result

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007, Vince wrote:
>Josh Tolbert wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 05:12:58PM -0600, Paul Schmehl wrote:
>>> I'd like to cron a process that looks at a certain folder every day and
>>> changes the perms on a directory if they aren't what I want.
>>> Unfortunately, the people creating the folders are Windows folks using
>>> WinSCP, and so they create folders with spaces in them.  (E.g. Day 1, Day
>>> 2, etc.)
>>>
>>> I thought I could just do this:
>>> chmod 755 `find /path/to/dirs -type d`
>>>
>>> but find returns a directory name of Day, Day, Day, which (obviously)
>>> doesn't work.

>>> How can I get find to return the dirs correctly in a script?  Or is there
>>> some other way to do this that would work?
>>>
>>> Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
>>
>> find /path/to/dirs -type d -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 755
>>
>or just
>find /path/to/dirs -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
>should do it.

While that works, the -print0 | xargs -0 is far more efficient as it isn't
exec'ing a process for every match.  This may not be important for a few
files or directories, but can make a significant difference when processing
thousands of entries.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

When I hear a man applauded by the mob I always feel a pang of pity
for him.  All he has to do to be hissed is to live long enough.
		-- H.L. Mencken, ``Minority Report''