Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 00:34:37 +0000
From:      Harry Woodward-Clarke <Harry.Woodward-Clarke@S1.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IE for FreeBSD Petition

Hi Greg,

<snip>

> I think this is a very bad idea.  Look at your mail message for

<snip>

> In the FreeBSD project, we're trying to get away from Microsoft,
>not
> come closer to it.  If there were a counter-petition to ask
>Microsoft
> *not* to port IE, I would sign it.

Until recently, I would have agreed wholeheartedly with you. Now-a-days,
I'm not too sure...

I think, for many of us, the proliferation of PCs would not have
occurred without someone like M$ coming in and establishing a
'standard'. OK, it's not the 'best' standard there could have been, but
for quite a while it's been pretty much the only ship in town. (Digital
Research with CP/M dropped the ball - but would that have been any
"better" than Messy-DOG?)

Without the large number of MS-DOG/Windoze PCs around, the economies of
scale in production of the hardware may not have arrived as quickly - as
it is we have heaps and gobs of (relatively) cheap and (relatively)
reliable hardware that we can convert via FreeBSD (and others) to Unix
Workstations.

Secondly, isn't our OpenSource world all about 'choice'? Now, true, some
are greatly attracted to the freedom to have all sorts of nifty little
'toys' to play with. Others are attracted to the promise of great OS
stability (which is why NT4 was such a hit in the Corporate world -
compared to Win3.x/95 it is/was heaps better), but these people also
require compatability with their (less enlightened) work-collegues.
Hence StarOffice and ApplixWare (etc.), and this petition for IE.

I doubt that all Free/Net/Open-BSD/Linux people will instantly switch to
IE for Unix, but it's possible that there are those who would like to do
so - if only because NetCommunicator is so kludgy at times. But, if
people want to use an IE for Unix, then why not allow them the choice?
At least if a worm enters their account, hopefully it will be confined
to their own account ;')

just my 6d

haxxa