Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 2003 08:47:18 +0300 (EEST)
From:      <vezku@surfeu.fi>
To:        <freebsd-performance@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Soft Update - directory/file listing

Hey all,

I'm having trouble with slow directory/file listing, which especially
noticable with SSH. It can be noticed when doing "ls -l" (UID/GID
resolving, sorting)on a directory that has only about 200
files/subdirectories.
My system is a 5.1-RELEASE, sparc64 on SUN250E (I first asked from the
sparc64 list). There are about 5000 accounts on this server.

The file system does not have Soft Updates enabled. Would this help?
Any similar experiences? All hints greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Vesa, SysAdmin