Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2023 20:37:45 +0000
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail on 14-RELEASE

On Tue, 12 Dec 2023 14:55:02 -0500
Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 12, 2023 at 2:49 PM Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 12 Dec 2023 14:18:36 -0500
> > Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > So this is a case where having a fully working (but local only) MTA is
> > > critical and DMA does not cut it!
> >
> >         Why not, all DMA needs to send mail is a relay to send it to.
>
> See original question DMA does not offer SMTP which javamail requires

	Quite true it does not offer SMTP - if you need SMTP then you need
to install something that does now.

	I recall the original development of dma in the DragnflyBSD
project, the aim was never to match sendmail functionality but rather to
provide a default mailer that was extremely simple, reliable and sufficient
for most basic needs.

> nor does it correctly handle local aliases as proven in the original
> post.

	There's something odd about that dma is supposed to have support
for /etc/aliases (without running newaliases).

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/