Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 21:14:37 -0700
From:      Seth Murray <smurray@comboard.com>
To:        Conrado Vardanega <cvspam@ig.com.br>
Cc:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How does Athlon performs in server tasks?

We built a 2CPU 1Ghz Athlon server with the TYAN 2462 (I think) board a
couple months ago. My recollection is, aside from cost, it had twice the
bus-speed of comparable Intel-supporting boards (but I'm sure others out
there know more about this than I). We're running
ApacheSSL/PHPmod/PostgreSQL/Qmail/BIND and God-knows what else. It has been
rock solid and lightening fast. Only problems I've had have been my own
ignorance -- still working on that.

One little bug in the built-in ethernet port drivers (plus a misprint in the
jumper specifications in the board manual -- now fixed), but it doesn't
appear to affect operation. The board was new and we used older drivers to
get it running. There may be new drivers out by now.

Everything else has been fine. I can't compare it to Intel servers (since we
don't have any), but similar web/scripting/database processes are about 200x
faster than our old PPC G3 server.

Using ECC RAM.

SHM