Date:      Mon, 27 Dec 1999 12:28:03 +0200
From:      "Alexandr Gribenko" <aeg@iname.com>
To:        <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD presence in Israel?

Ok let's add some more information on the topic.
You are right Linux is *very* popular here, but it is in generous a great
fact.
You have to confirm that less FreeBSD in lammer hand, more stability and
security threads for us ;o).
IMHO as Linux is going to be a second windows98
(Quake3 for Linux or try Suse Linux with KDE (win98 interface compat ;o) -
yaks!!!!!!!
*BSD systems will took over server markert. (It is logical they have an
*attitude* ;o)
I, personally, use FreeBSD for a three years now here in Israel and try to
push it as much as possible.
1)We used FreeBSD as a base system for an ISP company (2.2.1Release) named
LuckyNET back in 1995-1998
right now the servers are sitting in Israserv's colocation.
2)We've built ISP in Ukraine named ukrnet (www.ukr.net) (think about
Netvisions size) on Compaq servers running FreeBSD 2.2.7 (at building time)
3)I personally am running the school (AMAL K Haim) on the FreeBSD3.3 (yes I
am downloading ISO of 3.4 right now ;o) with about 100 windowz worstations
for firewalling, NATD, filtering, proxy, WWW, domains, and ofcourse Samba as
an NTserver ;o) and DOS access for ghosting
actually AGAINST the system (which is amalnet.k12 NT and once more NT) - you
just have to know how to speak with da boss (money is the key)
4)Right now I with the help of my friends for a three months are moving
FreeBSD and (preferrably) OpenBSD to be the shape of a server
small and robust for a school classroom in the next year (Yes I am speaking
about ministry of education here and we've got high enough for now)
5)We'are pushing filtering sollution for a school classroom named filternet
(filternet.co.il when I will open it), which is
(tshhh not talking to everyone right now) - OpenBSD based. right now
installed in about 20 schools of hifa area....

So there are things to do and maybe the situation will change.
what I can add, guys, WHERE ARE YOU???. We have to do something....
I personally would like to kill some Netvision for what they've done with
BSD FTP mirror :o(
Maybe create new freebsd list or what????
Gimme ideas!!!!!