Date:      Sun, 25 Oct 1998 19:27:39 -0600
From:      Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>
To:        Chris Falco <chrisfalcoNO_JUNK@hempseed.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Should I dump Windows 95 for Free BSD?

On Sat, Oct 24, 1998 at 05:46:46PM -0700, Chris Falco wrote:
> Howdy,
> I'm a Windows 95 user on a home pc and I was wondering if Free BSD would be an appropriate switch for me to make.  I read the FAQs and didn't see anything about comparisons (look, feel, robustness, ease of use, etc..) with Windows.  Is Free BSD primarily designed for industry and server use?  Do you know of any forums where Free BSD is discussed that I might lurk about in for a bit & see what's up?  Thanks in advance.  Cheers.

I did and have never looked back.  It is really not as easy as that, as I
had to learn to do my work in a different environment than what Windows
provides.  When I made the switch, I had very little knowledge of UNIX,
but with some determination and strong desire to get away from all the
problems with Windows and the evil empire, I was able to make the
transition.

If you enjoy computers and want to learn more about them then by all
means make the move.  I would advise running both Windows and FreeBSD
until you are comfortable with the UNIX environment.  Be patient as there
is a learning curve ahead of you, but once you are comfortable with UNIX
make the cut -- blow away windows and enjoy computing as it is meant to
be.  Good luck.
--
    --Frank

"At no time is the freedom of speech more precious then when a man hits
his thumb with a hammer."
   --Marshall Lumsden