Date:      Sun, 30 May 1999 11:55:04 -0400
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ELF and a.out disagreements.

I'm trying to trace down an odd problem which seems to be getting
into ld.so behaviour that I don't think is optimal ...

After I upgraded one of my 2.2.8-R machine to 3.2-S I stopped being
able to run several linux binaries under emulation, everything was
turned on and installed as it should be, I reinstalled the linux_lib
package, just to be sure, but netscape, acrobat and applix would
fail with "symbol not found" error messages:

./netscape.linux.4.08.bin: can't resolve symbol '__mb_cur_max'
./netscape.linux.4.08.bin: can't resolve symbol '_DefaultRuneLocale'
./netscape.linux.4.08.bin: can't resolve symbol '_CurrentRuneLocale'
./netscape.linux.4.08.bin: can't resolve symbol '__sF'

Linux ld.so seemed to be getting called correctly, all the libraries
shown in ldd output were there ... boggled me and a couple of other
people.

Eventually I had a similar problem with a FreeBSD 2 binary that was
still on the machine after the upgrade, this gave me a slightly more
useful error message from ld.so that 'library (random X lib) was
-1 older than expected minor version (n), using it anyway' followed
by a bad magic number complaint for the same library.

It dawned on me that ld.so - a.out ld.so - was trying to use ELF
libraries and I quickly worked out this was because I had
LD_LIBRARY_PATH set that included /usr/X11R6/lib (something that is
often needed on Solaris boxes if people havn't used -R correctly).

I uset LD_LIBRARY_PATH and all of these problems went away ...

1) This was impossible for me to debug with linux binaries.

2) a.out ld.so was dying on ELF libraries ... now, I know that
   was in part my fault for pointing it at them, but surely this
   is something thats going to keep happening ? How do you (as a user)
   point ELF ld.so at extra libraries without making a.out ld.so
   break ?

Peter.

--
pir               pir@pir.net      pir@shore.net      pir@net.tufts.edu