Date:      Tue, 1 Aug 2000 13:22:19 +0500
From:      "Sergey A. Ivanov" <lw@pd.chel.ru>
To:        Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re[2]: disk partition limits

Hello Gregory,
Tuesday, August 01, 2000, 11:25:28 AM, you wrote:

>>   Are there any limits for size/quantity of partitions at freebsd
>> slice?

GB> 4 slices per disk, 8 partitions per slice (by convention, partition "c" covers
GB> the whole disk so usually only 7 usable partitions).

GB> AFAIK FreeBSD cannot use the so-called "extended partitions" (i.e.
GB> slices-within-slices).

GB> If this is too restrictive for your purposes, use vinum to chop up a large
GB> partition into lots of little ones.

I'm tried create new partition on slice with >5Gb free space and failed.
Partition with 4096Mb was created successfully. Now i have 5
partitions on this slice and can't create new for rest 1+ Gb :(
Slice (as i can remember) is more than 8Gb, HDD is IBM SCSI 18Gb.

Best regards,
 Sergey                           mailto:lw@pd.chel.ru
                                      ICQ UIN: 49432691
                                      http://lw.narod.ru