Date:      Thu, 2 May 1996 11:23:09 +1000 (EST)
From:      Gary Roberts <garyr@ajax.wcs.uq.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrading from 2.1R to -stable

I recently used ctm to upgrade my 2.1R source tree to -stable with
zero problems whatsoever.  I haven't bothered to get the deltas by
e-mail as there is a nice mirror site nearby.  I just grabbed what
I needed and let ctm do its thing.  Many thanks to phk for an
excellent way to upgrade.

I had one small hiccup in the subsequent `make world'.  I happened
to have the PRINTER environment variable defined as the name of one
of the printers I have access to which is actually hanging off
another machine on our local net.  This caused groff to fail when
called about 16 hours into the `make world' :->.  Groff wasn't
particularly impressed with the local printer name.  On scanning
the various makefiles, I found the following in bsd.doc.mk:-

	PRINTER?=	ascii

	.if ${PRINTER} == "ascii"
	ROFF?=		groff -mtty-char ${TRFLAGS} ${MACROS} -o${PAGES}
	.else
	ROFF?=		groff ${TRFLAGS} ${MACROS} -o${PAGES}
	.endif

	TRFLAGS+=	-T${PRINTER}

and later on ...

	.if defined(NODOCCOMPRESS)
		lpr -P${PRINTER} ${DFILE}
	.else
		${GZIPCMD} -d ${DFILE} | lpr -P${PRINTER}
	.endif

It seems that PRINTER is being used for both the groff device names
and the lpr printer names.  Since groff devices must be one of `ascii'
`ps' `dvi' `X75' `X100' or `latin1' whilst lpr allows whatever name
you want to use in /etc/printcap, wouldn't it be better to have two
separate variables here or am I missing something obvious?

My solution was to undefine my PRINTER environment variable, restart
the `make world' and then rebuild and install a -stable kernel and
reboot.  No further problems were encountered.

I don't want to have to remember to `unsetenv PRINTER' every time I
do a `make world' in future so suggestions for a generic fix would
be appreciated.

Finally, while I'm here, I notice that the lpr manpage lists the
spool directories as /var/spool/output/* whilst the lpd manpage uses
what I'm used to, ie. /var/spool/*.  The printcap manpage has this
definition for `sd' ie. `sd	str	/var/spool/lpd	spool directory'
whilst the example /etc/printcap has `sd=/var/spool/output/lpd'.

I presume the new system is to put all spool directories under
/var/spool/output so perhaps the manpages for lpd and printcap can
be adjusted accordingly?  Please don't take any of this as a complaint
since I'm just trying to be helpful in finding documentation nits.

My new -stable machine has been running fine for a while now and I'm
extremely happy with the simplicity of using ctm to upgrade the sources.
Many thanks to all concerned.

Cheers,
--
Gary Roberts  (garyr@wcs.uq.edu.au) (Ph +617 3844 0400  Fax +617 3844 0444)
4th Floor, South Bank House, 234 Grey St, South Bank  QLD 4101  Australia.