Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2007 13:10:43 -0400
From:      Coleman Kane <cokane@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk@voicenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Radeon DRI Problems after latest X.org 7.3 update

Coleman Kane wrote:
> Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:

>>> Adam,
>>>
>>> I saw this, and thought that it might be related. It's really
>>> difficult to tell. In 7.2 (w/ ati driver 6.6.3) I was able to use
>>> compiz and almost all GLX stuff properly, direct or accelerated
>>> indirect mode. After I portupgraded to x.org 7.3 (server 1.4), all
>>> of my problems came up. I did build/install x11/xorg-server v1.4
>>> before x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati v6.7.192 (you can't do it any
>>> other way). I did try downgrading back to xf86-video-ati v6.6.3 to
>>> see if the old version would still work under the new server, and
>>> then my X session just dies any time DRI is accessed (old driver not
>>> compatible w/ new server?).
>>>
>>> I also played with it some more and have found that EXA is
>>> completely unusable for me. Under the new server/driver combination,
>>> if I am using EXA (and no AIGLX composting manager) then I get the
>>> problem where when a window is undrawn (moved, minimized, resized,
>>> or I switch workspaces), it leaves a shadow behind it that is
>>> slightly lighter than the surrounding area. I can drag a window
>>> around the screen to "paint" this effect around my desktop. This is
>>> all happening with metacity (which I "downgraded" to after compiz
>>> became completely unusable).
>>>
>>> I've got a Radeon Mobility M10 aka Radeon 9550, using the rv350 chip.
>>>
>>> I played with the GLX effects further and discovered that I can't
>>> produce the full-screen-flicker effect on a screen-shot...
>>>

>> I'm not sure I can help you here.  I have not tried EXA since updating
>> to Xorg 7.3.  My previous experiences with EXA gave me the impression
>> that it was too slow to normal use.
>>
> Same here.
>> AIGLX works fine here after rebuilding the mesa drivers.  compiz runs
>> flawlessly, in fact.  I did have an issue with my AGP x700 card locking
>> up when running compiz, but commenting out various options in the driver
>> section got it working again.  I haven't determined which option is
>> causing the lockups.  I didn't have any such lockups with my PCIe x850.
>> They are the only two cards I've tried 7.3 with (well, other than my
>> x1300's with the avivo and now the radeonhd drivers, but I won't bug the
>> list with those problems).
>>
> So you've rebuilt and reinstalled graphics/dri, graphics/libGL,
> graphics/libGLU, graphics/libglut ? Regarding the radeonhd drivers,
> what sort of experience are you finding with those? Does that driver
> only support r500+ ?
>> I can try EXA to see if I get the same problems, but I won't be able to
>> restart X for a while, unfortunately.
>>
> Don't worry, I too gave up on EXA long ago because of performance and
> stability issues. I am really interested in getting it working with
> XAA. The server just crashes when DRI is accessed using EXA mode.
>> Adam
>>

> --
> Coleman Kane

New information for you....

I just updated to the latest xf86-video-ati driver from
git://anongit.freedesktop.org and most of my trouble seems to be fixed
now. Compiz works pretty well and all the effects look nice once again
(without trashing the screen).

I have noticed one thing though, when I run glxgears, I get a weird
effect. When the glxgears window is put behind another window, the gears
are still drawn on the top of the display. Also, if I drag it around,
the gears remain rendering at the previous location until the window is
dropped, at which point the gears are not cleaned up from the previous
location (last frame is frozen there) until I move something else around
in that region to trigger the redraw.

I wonder if this might be fixed by your suggestion of getting the latest
Mesa from git.

Anyhow, if other people are failing to get ati 6.7.192 to work under
X.org Server 1.4.0, try getting the latest snapshot out of anongit. They
have committed a number of fixes to the driver since 7.3 was released.

--
Coleman Kane