Date:      Mon, 20 Jul 1998 20:57:03 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Andrew Kenneth Milton <akm@zeus.theinternet.com.au>
Cc:        petrilli@dworkin.amber.org, gbieker@crown.NET, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why is there no info on the QPOPPER hack?

At 10:41 AM 7/21/98 +0000, Andrew Kenneth Milton wrote:

>So fix it.
>
>If you can't fix it, wait for it to be fixed.
>If you can't wait for it to be fixed either change to a different
>vendor implementation or shut down.

Possibly. But in this case, by the time I found out about the problem,
someone else could already have fixed it and it could have been installed
automatically on the system. Why re-implement the wheel or duplicate
another's effort?

>While these choice might be inconvenient, they are all you have.

The point is that they're not. It'd be nice to get an automatic update
that closes the hole. I might create the new version sometimes, but
there's no reason for each person to do it every time.

>If you want to whinge about lack of support/features, buy support
>or buy a commercial OS (which almost certainly guarantees slower
>response time, but, at least someone there will listen to you
>whinge.)

Well, the first thing I might "whinge" about is your spelling. But
after I get through ribbing you about that, I'll continue to mount an
effort to come up with a more sensible solution than trying to close
every security hole myself, thank you.

>And BTW C doesn't kill people, C Programmers kill people.

In either case, the solution is to fix C or move to something else.

--Brett