Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 08:50:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      woods@zeus.leitch.com (Greg A. Woods)
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bin/7033: newsyslog's new option

The following reply was made to PR bin/7033; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: woods@zeus.leitch.com (Greg A. Woods)
To: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:  Subject: Re: bin/7033: newsyslog's new option
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 11:41:28 -0400 (EDT)

 [ On Tue, June 23, 1998 at 14:17:57 (-0400), Mikhail Teterin wrote: ]
 > Subject: bin/7033: newsyslog's new option
 >
 > 	Only list the file once is the almost working work-around. It fails
 > 	if there are different conditions affect different files.
 >
 > 	Please, have in mind that the same process may happen to
 > 	be listed in several files. So, the list of processes should
 > 	first be "uniq"-ed...

 In the version of newsyslog I'm maintaining (one that contains many
 fixes, if far more portable, and which also contains all the new
 features from various *BSD variants, and a couple of unique new
 features), I've added the following to the BUGS section of the manual
 page:

      Sends SIGHUP to the associated daemon process for every log file
      trimmed.  This is done to ensure that it's safe to compress the
      file after it has hopefully been closed but in theory should be
      optimized to only notify daemon(s) once (and then run all the
      necessary compressions as the last step).  This behaviour is
      normally harmless for syslogd and multiple signals can be avoided
      for other daemons by ensuring their PID files are only listed once
      and using the `0' flag is used to ensure the most recent log file
      is not immediately compressed.

 Anyone intrested in this can find the latest beta here:

 	ftp://ftp.planix.com/pub/Planix/newsyslog.tar.gz

 --
 							Greg A. Woods

 +1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods@acm.org>      <robohack!woods>