Date:      Fri, 16 Jun 2000 17:06:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Daugherty <doc@wcug.wwu.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipfw to localhost?

I've really munged up my firewall recently and I'm trying to figure out
where I've screwed up (which file). This is on a box which is acting as
router to the rest of my 192.168. network.

I've managed to make my machine pingable to the outside world again by
commenting out all of the firewall stuff in my rc.conf
#firewall_enable="YES"
#firewall_type="open"
If I uncomment this and reboot I can't ping out nor is my box pingable
from the outside.

Unfortunately by commenting this out I no longer provide Internet access
to the machines behind the router. I noticed in my /var/log/ipfw.today I
have:
00200      2        78 deny ip from any to 127.0.0.0/8
I have nothing like this in my natd.conf nor my rc.firewall. Where else
would I be able to find this line? Why would shutting down my firewall
deny access to the Internet from my internal machines?

Thanks.

David
Software Engineer - NetManage
Work email: david.daugherty@netmanage.com