Date:      Tue, 09 Oct 2012 22:32:55 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
To:        Erich Dollansky <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [maybe spam] shape network traffic but give priority to one application

On 10/9/12 5:47 PM, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am again on a very remote location with a pretty slow Internet
> connection. The problem I would like to solve sounds simple.
>
> What is the easiest way to shape the network traffic so that one
> machine gets most of the bandwidth when needed while all other machines
> share the remaining bandwidth?
>
> Google tells me that pfsense is a good start. Are there better options?

pfsense is a whole OS image and you install it onto a machine.
it's what you'd do if you had a spare OC you want to use for traffic
shaping etc.
internally it uses FreeBSD as the OS and 'pf + altq' as the shaper.

If you have  a FreeBSD machine up already, and you can pass all the
traffic through
it then you can do the same and use pf + altq, or you can use ipfw +
dummynet.

Your choice.