Date:      Wed, 25 Jan 2017 04:05:16 +0000
From:      John Howie <john@thehowies.com>
To:        David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to capture console messages during boot?

Hi David,

Depending on your hardware, you can use a serial port as the console. If yo=
u are running on a server-class machine (from DELL or HP, for example), you=
 should check the BIOS for this setting. Of course, you then need a serial =
cable and another machine to connect from. Also, depending on your equipmen=
t, using a serial port as console might disable the graphics/keyboard/mouse=
, meaning you get false errors/lack of errors.

Another extremely low-tech solution is simply to use your phone to record t=
he boot sequence, and replay and pause the video. Simply point at screen an=
d start filming! I must admit to having done that a few times...

Regards,

John

> On Jan 25, 2017, at 4:59 AM, David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com=
> wrote:
>=20
> freebsd-questions:
>=20
> I am attempting to build a graphical workstation using:
>=20
> toor@freebsd:/root # freebsd-version
> 11.0-RELEASE-p7
>=20
> toor@freebsd:/root # uname -a
> FreeBSD freebsd 11.0-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p1 #0 r306420: Thu S=
ep 29 03:40:55 UTC 2016 root@releng2.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/G=
ENERIC  i386
>=20
> toor@freebsd:/root # pkg info xorg | head -n 1
> xorg-7.7_2
>=20
> toor@freebsd:/root # pkg info xfce | head -n 1
> xfce-4.12_1
>=20
>=20
> As I add software and adjust configuration settings, invariably I create =
or encounter issues.  Some of these generate warnings/ errors on the consol=
e when the system boots.  I'd like to capture console messages during boot,=
 so that I can review them and fix things.