Date:      Thu, 10 Jun 1999 17:29:57 +0900
From:      Changhoon Kim <kimch@etri.re.kr>
To:        Steve Madsen <steve@dvart.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Poor TCP performance between 2.2.5 and 2.2.8

Though this mail seems not to help Steve, I've experienced similar situations
before.
And I've already consulted this situation to this mailing list.

I used two FreeBSD 3.1 machines(with SMC EZ Fast-Ethernet NIC) and one Redhat Linux
6.0 machine(with the same NIC). These three machines were attached to a
fast-ethernet segment. Under this configuration, when I transmitted files from
either of the FreeBSD box to the Linux box, transmission speed was over than
70Mbps. However, when it came to the transmission between the two FreeBSD boxes, I
did not observed transmission speed surpassing 50Kbps !

I've tried to solve this problem for about two weeks but in vain.
Currently, I've upgraded both FreeBSD machines into 3.2-Release and the awful
transmission performance problem has been completely vanished !
But, I'm still in curiosity.

Any good ideas, suggestions or comments ?
Thanks folks.

Steve Madsen wrote:

> I realize this may be not very important since work is mostly being done on
> 3.x and 4.x these days, but I observed some really poor TCP performance
> between a 2.2.5 box and a 2.2.8 box the other day.  I was using scp to copy
> a large files (80-some MB) from the 2.2.5 box to the 2.2.8 box.  Not only
> was performance bad, but the 2.2.5 box actually had trouble servicing X
> sessions to other people.  Their X sessions timed out and went away.  Other
> than this transfer, the LAN was lightly loaded.
>
> I'd have to go back and try this again to get solid data, but I was curious
> if anyone had seen something like this in the past.  I searched the mailing
> list archives and didn't find anything related.
>
> The 2.2.5 box has a 3Com EtherLink III and the 2.2.8 box has a 3Com 3c905 IIRC.
>
> Using a Linux machine as a middleman worked around the problem; the 2.2.5
> box had no problem sending a huge file to the Linux machine and the 2.2.8
> box had no problems receiving the same large file from the Linux box.  The
> problem was limited to the two machines talking to each other.
>
> --
> Steve Madsen <steve@dvart.com>
> Digital Video Art, Inc.

Changhoon Kim

  Internet Technology Research Dept. Switching & Transmission Technology Lab.
  Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute(ETRI)

  161 Kajong-dong, Yusong-gu, Taejon, 305-350, KOREA
  Tel: (Office) +82-42-860-5801, (Cell) +82-19-226-6305
  E-mail: kimch@etri.re.kr

* All Smiles, Everywhere and Everytime !