Date:      Tue, 29 Feb 2000 09:16:35 -1000
From:      Clifton Royston <cliftonr@lava.net>
To:        EKR <ekr@rtfm.com>
Cc:        Matt Heckaman <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trouble installing xpdf port in 3.4-stable

On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 10:20:53AM -0800, EKR wrote:
> Matt Heckaman <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET> writes:
>
> > Yes, I think this could be done providing the host exporting the crypto is
> > in a slightly more free country like Canada. I'm sure our Canadian users
> > would be happy to aide in this, I'd be willing to host a crypto dist here
> > in Montreal (on uunet).
> The US government has essentially lifted all crypto export controls
> on Open Source software. There's no longer any problem with
> exporting strong crypto.
>
> All that is required is that you provide BXA a pointer to the
> web site when the crypto is first posted.

But isn't there a US patent issue (though it might expire later this
year, I believe) preventing distributing or using RSA code inside the
US without a license, unless you use RSA's approved reference version?

And my understanding is that the latter has various legal conditions
attached and so is undesirable for anybody outside the US.  If I
understand their rules, I'm stretching it a bit by using from my home
machine to work, for instance.
  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
      The named which can be named is not the Eternal named.