Date:      Sun, 19 Jul 1998 11:14:59 -0500
From:      Ted Spradley <tsprad@set.spradley.tmi.net>
To:        Chris Coleman <chris@bb.cc.wa.us>
Cc:        Jacques Vidrine <n@nectar.com>, John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>, cc@tarsier.ca.sandia.gov, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Basic Question.

I did a floppy/ftp install of NetBSD 1.3.2 a couple of weeks ago, on an
AlphaStation 200 4/233 (from onsale.com).  It just dropped right in.
Since I had no problems to solve, I'm probably no help to you.  But
here's what I did:

I didn't do anything with the flashcode.  What came in the machine Just
Worked, so I didn't even look at the version.

I did *not* put the video board in it.  That's still in the cardboard box
in the closet.  There's no Xserver for it, and I don't think it even
works as a character-mode console under 1.3.2, maybe in the latest snap.
I used a null modem and seyon.

I followed the instructions in ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.3.
2/alpha/INSTALL, but not carefully.  But hey, I've done this kind of
stuff many times before.  It's a very nice document, use it.

I used the floppy image ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.3.2/alpha
/installation/floppy/install132.fs.  I just got it by ftp to a FreeBSD
machine and dd'ed it to a floppy: "dd if=install132.fs of=/dev/fd0
bs=18k".

>From there I just followed the procedure, ftp'ed the tarballs and
unpacked 'em.  It just worked.

Good luck.

> I just tried a new boot disk created from a unix machine and I have gotten
> quite a bit farther.  I have to figure out how to install now.
[...]
> On Sat, 18 Jul 1998, Jacques Vidrine wrote:
[...]
> > I just tried to netboot an AlphaStation 200 4/233 with NetBSD 1.3.2,
> > and I get something similar:
> >
> > [don't know what comes before. while loading kernel, screen clears
> >  and then:]
> >            _   [this little thing is actually there, not a typo]
> >
> > halted CPU 0
> >
> > halt code = 5
> > HALT instruction executed
> > PC = fffffc00003003ac
> > >>>

> > If I try booting from a floppy, the screen clears, and sits there
> > with a "_" in the lower left corner.
> >
> > I'm not sure what to try next.
> >
> > Jacques Vidrine <n@nectar.com>
> >
> > On 16 July 1998 at 17:55, Chris Coleman <chris@bb.cc.wa.us> wrote:
> > > Ha!  I figured it out.  I had to do the bios update in the alpha bios and
> > > then type
> > > 	update fw -path srm_fw
> > >
> > > and it worked.
> > >
> > > Now I am booting Netbsd/Alpha....