Date:      Sun, 25 Oct 1998 20:29:14 -0800
From:      "Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com>
To:        Stanley.Hopcroft@ipaustralia.gov.au, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using IPFW and DIVERT/TEE sockest to capture data (for intensive firewall logging)

On Mon, Oct 26, 1998 at 02:44:58PM +1000, Stanley.Hopcroft@ipaustralia.gov.au wrote:

> Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,
>
> I am writing to ask your help use 2.2.7-RELEASE ipfw with tee/divert
> sockets to provide intensive logging (ie capturing the packet or the
> packets data) in a firewall conetxt.
>
> My kernel is built with options FIREWALL and options DIVERT; my ipfw rules
> appear to load correctly eg
>
> ipfw add tee 1000 from any 1-23- to <server> <server_port>
> ipfw  add tee 1000 from <server> server_port> to any 1023-
>
> There is a small perl UDP or TCP server listening on port 1000 (visible
> with netstat -a) that copies the packet to stdout.
>
> Unfortunately, whether or not the server listening on port 1000 (having
> bound the socket to localhost port 1000), when the ipfw rule with tee is
> active, the rule seeminlgy doesnt'
>
> . log data (via the server)
> . allow packets through to the normal destination (address <server> port
> <server_port>)
>
> A client trying to connect to the subject of the rule returns
>
> - connection refused
> - permission denied.
>
> Thanks for any comments you may have.
>
> Yours sincerely.

[ You might try questions@freebsd.org since this is ISP relates list.]

	To answer your question: I don't think tee is actually implemented
	right now. I remember Archie Cobbs and Luigi Rizzo talking about it
	back a month or two ago on one of the lists..

	If you want to log your traffic, consider using tcpdump, or you
	might want to also check out NFR: www.nfr.net

-- Yan

I don't have the password .... + Jan Koum
But the path is chainlinked .. | Spelled Jan, pronounced Yan. There.
So if you've got the time .... | Web: http://www.best.com/~jkb
Set the tone to sync ......... + OS: http://www.FreeBSD.org