Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 1999 11:15:43 -0800
From:      Richard Kiss <richard@homemail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Near-daily 3.0 Crash Reboots

I am seeing crashes on my Cyrix box ever since upgrading from 2.2.8 to 3.0.
I had uptimes of over 30 days on 2.2.8. Now it's usually one or two days.

The crash is typical: I walk up to the machine, hit "shift" to unblank the
screen. After the monitor warms up, the text login screen appears (no xdm),
with the solid white cursor after "login: " as it should be. However, a
blinking underline cursor appears in the top left corner. After I type a
few more keys, which don't echo, the machine reboots. I've never seen any
messages (/var/log/messages has nothing unusual either).

The machine is almost completely inactive. However, during the night, cron
does the usual things, plus at 5 AM copies a large (40-80 MB) tarball from
a remote site using scp (the ssh version of rcp).

I have DDB & DDB_UNATTENDED in my kernel file, but I don't see any kernel
core files. Where are these supposed to appear? Root level?

I'm running sshd, apache, natd with two 3C509 boards, all very low load.

If anyone wants more info or has debugging suggestions, please go ahead.
I'd love to get some stability back.

-- Richard

Richard Kiss
140 Locksunart Way #8