Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 1995 12:35:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jim@reptiles.org (Jim Mercer)
To:        wpaul@skynet.cdrom.com (A boy and his worm gear)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: getpwent() YP/NIS bugu

> > in 1.1.5.1 i had babybop set up as a NIS client off of one of my sunos
> > 4.1.1_u1 machines.  worked fine.
>
> Babybop? *shudder*

yeah, and i have a barney too, and i-love-you.you-love-me is a cname for
babybop.   8^)

> If you want to set up normal NIS client operations, use this:
> +:::::::::
> _NOT_ this:
> +:*:0:0::::::

gah, i gues RTFM is the key word for today.  sorry.

> I'll look into this, but in the meantime, why not just take the damn '*'
> out of your master.passwd file? This isn't strictly a bug since the
> behavior you're seeing is expected. It isn't documented though, which is
> something I need to fix before the next release.

i took the * out, and rebuilt the original getpwent, and all is well.

it is kinda documented in passwd(5).

--
[ Jim Mercer                 jim@reptiles.org              +1 416 506-0654 ]
[          Reptilian Research -- Longer Life through Colder Blood          ]