Date:      Tue, 4 Sep 2001 13:08:33 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        murray@stokely.org
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TeX experts on this list?

I use LaTeX a lot, but I'm not really an expert on TeX.
That said,

>   For anyone who has played with the print output recently, you may
> have noticed that we experimented briefly with turning on
> justification and hyphenation by default.  This makes the output look
> much better but unfortunately TeX doesn't know how to hyphenate the
> weird words that make up pathnames or URLs so these can occasionally
> overflow into the right margin looking very bad.
>
>   There is a solution to this problem, with the url and path TeX
> packages.

The only thing I can find in my teTeX installation is a url.sty which
is a LaTeX package, which doesn't seem to work with plain TeX, which
is what jade (in the doc makefiles, anyway) generates (it seems to me).

It seems to be possible to generate LaTeX with some versions of jade.
I don't know whether that is desirable...  It may also be possible to
port this url.sty to plain TeX, but that's probably way beyond my
expertise.

Alternatively, one can set a large \tolerance in TeX so that rather
than overflowing the margin, a long URL (or other long unit) moves to
the next line; the downside to that is that the previous line may get
right-justified     with      lots      of      whitespace     inserted
between the words, which looks ugly too.

In practice, even if you solve this particular URL problem, it's
impossible to ensure consistent production-quality output in a large
book in a fully automated manner... even with TeX, some handtuning
will almost certainly needed at the final stages.

- Rahul