Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 1996 16:44:00 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP-compliant motherboards

Hi,

> Bill's problem, I think, is that he bought a dual-pentium motherboard... and
> it turns out that the machine will only accept two processors if they're
> both at the same stepping, and he can't run them at higher than 120MHz (I
> think it was).  When he bought the system, however, he asked if he could
> just get a second processor, and they told him yes, even though he was
> buying it with a 133MHz processor...

I believe their is a general "CPU version" consideration to be made as well.
I found a "Pentium Processor FAQ" on the intel web site which contains a
table (under question #11) that lists features of various versions, including
the ability of that particular chip to be used in a dual CPU board.  It is
a bit vague in places, does anyone know of a more definitive document for
this question?  I really don't trust the average vendor to plug the right
chips in!

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD